11.16.2012

Behind the Scenes: Being a Wedding Ninang for the First Time


At 35, I was graciously asked by a much younger couple to stand as a principal sponsor at their wedding. They asked oh so nicely, and sweetly and I remembered among our wedding sponsors, we can relate and talk most to the younger in the batch.

I think when we got married 6 years ago, our wedding ninangs were also in the mid 30s age range.

So, a month before the wedding, the couple asked if we ninangs can come in knee length silver dresses. I thought that time that hey, that's easy. So I put it off. I was busy, and had a business trip to attend.

I was confident I can easily find a dress.

A week and a half before the wedding, I panicked and finally looked for something.

My first purchase, a glittery Ruby Woo dress.
Checklist:
Ist it silver? - half check only as only the top is silver
Is it knee length- check
Do I look like a ninang when I wear it? Nah, I actually look like somebody going to a disco (may disco pa ba???)

But I bought it anyway because I might not have the time to look for another dress.

 
 
My second purchase: a brocade silver dress at Cinderella
Checklist:
Ist it silver? - check. It is silver on silver.
Is it knee length- check
Do I look like a ninang when I wear it? More like just a wedding guest outfit

I am unlike most people. I would rather I am overdressed than under dressed. But still, I bought this anyways because I might not find an all silver dress. And this is based from experience. I found this dress in the sale rack at 70% off after almost buying dresses 10x more expensive at a boutique a few steps away.
 


I almost bought this dress, too. The two of them were on the sale rack.



So I thought I am all set. I have my shoes already, a black cocktail bag I already own, and I bought fake pearls to wear as a necklace in 2 shades of gray.

BUT... a day before the wedding, just as when I should be in the thick of preparing the dessert buffet which I volunteered to gift the couple with, I went out and looked for something else.

I know, right?

On the day itself, I ended up wearing something I feel is appropriate for this most special event.

Checklist:
Ist it silver? - half check only as only the skirt part is silver but I had a shawl was ready to cover up that lace top part.
Is it knee length- check
Do I look like a ninang when I wear it? YES!!!



So what happened to my purchases?

I had the first one changed to an all black office dress (which I am wearing today), and kept the silver
brocade one in my closet. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity to wear that in the future. =)

 More stories about the wedding coming up soon!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover